The world today is increasingly built to run with internet-connected devices and PCs. So, having strong system protection against viruses and malware is a necessity. In this post, we do an in-depth review of Webroot Internet Security Plus.
About Webroot Inc.
Webroot Inc. was founded in 1997 and is located in Broomfield, Colorado. The company began making antivirus software in 2006. They operate internationally and provide antivirus, antimalware, and firewall software products for desktop PCs.
The internet has billions of web pages, and many new ones are created each day. Webroot scans the internet to detect the newest online threats and provide security measures for its users.
About Webroot Secure Anywhere Internet Security Plus
Internet Security Plus provides security for many types of devices, including PCs, Macs, smartphones, and tablets. One of which is its capability to protect a user’s identity while they shop online.
It offers the following protections:
- Webcam protection
- Password management
- Data security
- Harmful site blocking
- Firewall and network connection monitor
- Fast scanning
- Smartphones and tablets security
- Account logins and passwords protection
If you use an android smartphone, you also get the Webroot Mobile Security & Antivirus app included with Internet Security Plus. Just download the app from the Google Play Store and use your security code.
GUI / Interface
Webroot Internet Security Plus has a main program window with a “Scan Now” button located in the middle.
Scan My Computer
Clicking this will scan your system.
There are scan options available for:
Quick Scan, a surface scan of files in active memory
Full Scan, scans all connected local hard drives.
Deep Scan, scans for rootkits, trojans, and other threats.
Custom Scan, scans only selected files and folders
The right side menu has the following drop-down selections:
- PC Security
- Identity Protection
- Backup & Sync
- Password Manager
- My Account
- Support / Community
These selections also open up to their own windows when the gear wheel is clicked on the right side of the option label.
Opening this side menu option shows the following:
- Scan & Shield
- Block / Allow Files
- Whitelisted Scripts
Scan & Shield allows for scanning options, including Quick, Full, Deep, and Custom Scans. The right side of this window allows for On/Off selections of the following:
- Realtime Shield
- Rootkit Shield
- Web Shield
- USB Shield
- Offline Shield
Also shown is View Active Connections.
Quarantine allows the user to view and manage threats detected by the program. A checkbox is next to each threat with the option of deleting or restoring them.
Block / Allow Files allows the user to choose which files to block, allow, or monitor.
Whitelisted Scripts shows the files and folders that are whitelisted.
Clicking on the gear wheel icon next to this selection provides the following items:
- Online Protection
- Application Protection
This shows On/Off choices for the Identity and Phishing Shields.
Webroot Application Protection has options to Protect, Allow, or Deny applications from accessing your personal data and potentially sharing it without your consent.
The Utilities option window shows the following sub-windows:
- Antimalware Tools
- System Control
- System Optimizer
This has the tool check boxes that allow for desktop wallpaper and screensaver resets.
There also is the option of performing a manual threat removal by selecting specific files
On your drive. If a Webroot support agent has provided a removal script for your program to fix a particular issue, you can run that script here as well.
This window option provides the following saving/viewing options:
- Scan Log
- Threat Log
- Protection Statistics
- Execution History
- Submit Files
This shows the following options:
- System Analyzer
- Control Active Processes
- SafeStart Sandbox
Webroot System Analyzer detects problems on your system with a system scan.
Control Active Processes
This option gives the user the option to allow, block, or monitor active processes on your system.
This allows for controlling suspicious programs and how they interact with the system and online resources.
The System Optimizer allows for freeing up of hard drive space, removal of unnecessary files and internet tracks. The date of last optimization and space recovered is also presented. The user can also choose to schedule the system optimizing process.
The Advanced Settings window provides many additional operating choices for the user. These include:
- Install Settings
- Scan Settings
- Firewall / Web Shield
- Access Control
- Import / Export
- System Optimizer
- Secure Erase
This window allows for automatic downloading of updates as well as icons and shortcuts on the desktop, start menu and system tray.
This allows the user to set a time and day scheduler for both the Scan and System Optimizer. There are specific options such as scanning at bootup also available.
This has options for which areas of your system you want to scan.
This window has checkbox options for blocking certain files, program activity, and data access.
Firewall / Web Shield
This has Web Shield and browser extensions options for online activity. You can also choose to block dangerous websites.
Here the user can enable password protection.
This allows for Proxy server and authentication options.
This allows for the enabling and disabling of heuristics (sped up problem-solving) with regards to file detection.
Import / Export
This allows for configuration settings backup for reinstallation of the program or to copy them to or from another system.
This allows for choosing which folders the user wants to be scanned and cleaned when System Optimizer runs, such as temporary folders and the recycle bin.
This allows for controlling the level of security applied to scanning and removing dangerous files. The ranges include Normal, Medium, and Maximum.
Webroot PC Security
PC Security includes these protections:
- Realtime Shield
- Web Shield – to identify and prevent Internet attacks
- Firewall – to protect your computer from network attacks
- Identity Shield – for identity protection
- Phishing Shield – to ward off phishing attempts
Backup & Sync
This provides the option of storing music, files, and photos in the cloud for access across mobile devices. This may require additional services to setup.
This allows for managing computer and device passwords remotely and securely. Having a Password Manager included is a big bonus of Webroot.
This provides the keycode, product version, and Webroot web console for managing all your devices online.
Support / Community
You can access Webroot’s online customer support and user community to get answers to your questions and solutions for any issues that pop up.
Webroot System Requirements
Operating System Requirements
- Microsoft® Windows® XP 32- and 64-bit SP2, SP3
- Windows Vista® 32-bit (all Editions), Windows Vista SP1, SP2 32- and 64-bit (all Editions)
- Windows 7 32- and 64-bit (all Editions), Windows 7 SP1 32- and 64-bit (all Editions)
- Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 – both 32- and 64-bit
- Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion®)
- Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion®)
- OS X 10.9 (Mavericks®)
- OS X 10.10 (Yosemite®)
- OS X 10.11 (El Capitan®)
- macOS 10.12 (Sierra®)
- macOS 10.13 (High Sierra®)
- macOS 10.14 (Mojave®)
- Intel® Pentium®/Celeron® family, or AMD®K6/Athlon™/Duron™ family, or other compatible processors
- 128 MB RAM (minimum)
- 10 MB Hard Disk Space
- Internet access
- Google Chrome® 11 and newer
- Internet Explorer® version 11 and newer (Windows XP IE8)
- Microsoft Edge® (partial support)
- Mozilla® Firefox® version 3.6 and newer
- Safari 5 and newer
- Opera 11 and newer
Android Mobile Security Requirements
- Android™ operating system version 4.4 (KitKat) or higher
- Android™-compatible device with 3 MB of free storage space
- Data connection required
iOS Mobile Security Requirements
- SecureWeb Browser and Password Management require iOS® 10 or later
- Backup and Storage supported on iOS® 10 or later
- Compatible with iPhone®, iPod touch®, and iPad® mobile digital devices
Wifi Security Requirements
- OS X 10.10 (Yosemite®) and newer
- Windows 7 32- and 64-bit and newer (excluding Windows 8 and Windows 10 S)
- Android™ operating system version 6 and newer
- iOS® 10 and newer
Our Webroot Internet Security Test
We ran a live Webroot Internet Security test on our standard antivirus test machine with these specifications:
- Desktop PC Model: HP Pavilion 595
- Processor: 8th generation Intel Core I5-8400
- RAM: 12 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM Memory
- Hard Drive: 1 TB 7200 RPM HD, 128 GB PCIe Solid State Drive
- Video Card: Intel UHD Graphics 630
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Software: Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, included pre-installed software on the system.
- File types: xls, txt, doc, mp3, mp4, jpeg, jpg, bmp, png, pdf, docx, exe, wav, wma, bat
- Average file size: 4.4 MB
Webroot Internet Security Test Scan Performance
A Full Scan took 1 hour and 14 minutes.
Total files scanned: 565,104
A Deep Scan took 29 seconds on our system.
Total files scanned: 7,612
Total Processes: 201
A Quick scan took 6 seconds to complete.
Total files scanned: 1,142
A Custom scan only on the documents folder took 5 minutes, 8 seconds.
Total files scanned: 83,451
PROS of Webroot Internet Security Plus
- Webroot Internet Security Plus does very fast scans. The only scan that took longer than 6 minutes was the Full scan of our system.
- Webroot Internet Security Plus has many options for users beyond just normal or custom scanning.
CONS of Webroot Internet Security Plus
- It is somewhat tedious to find the Custom Scan options. The user has to go 2 clicks deep into the main window to get a Custom Scan started. The main window has an easy scan set to Deep by default. Other antivirus programs make finding and setting up a custom scan more obvious. With Webroot the average user may never notice there are more advanced scanning options available.
- The program options are a little hard to understand. The gear wheel icons and change of window types makes quickly learning these more difficult versus other programs.
Webroot Internet Security Plus Review in Summary
Having strong antivirus software installed on your computers and devices is highly recommended. Webroot Internet Security Plus offers complete protection against all types of online threats across your devices. It performs fast and effective system scans and is very easy to use. If you are a busy professional, student or parent, this tool could be just what you need.
Webroot Internet Security Plus FAQs
What viruses does Webroot Internet Security Plus protect against?
Will Webroot Internet Security Plus protect my identity?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus block scareware?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus block ransomware?
Can Webroot Internet Security Plus remove viruses?
Can you use Webroot Internet Security Plus on a PC?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus work with Windows 10?
Can you use Webroot Internet Security Plus on a Mac?
How often is Webroot Internet Security Plus updated?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus run at startup?
How much RAM does Webroot Internet Security Plus use?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus have technical support?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus have a site blocker?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus have a firewall?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus protect my webcam?
Can Webroot Internet Security Plus block porn?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus protect my email?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus work with Chrome?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus work with Firefox?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus work with Safari?
Does Webroot Internet Security Plus work with Linux?
Other Products By Webroot
- Webroot Antivirus
- Webroot Internet Security Plus
- Webroot Internet Security Complete
- Webroot Business Mobile Protection
- Webroot Business Endpoint Protection
- Webroot Web Security Service
- Webroot Antivirus for Gamers
- Webroot Wifi Security
- Webroot DNS Protection